The project seeks to establish in NEFU an internationally competitive Research Laboratory on Multiscale Model Reduction (MMR). The objectives are as follows:
- to conduct fundamental research and to develop innovative mathematical and numerical concepts for modeling and analysis of highly heterogeneous porous media problems;
- to develop high quality algorithms and their mathematical analysis for multiscale modeling including innovative adaptive MMR approaches, advanced discretization techniques, and efficient decoupling algorithms;
- to develop an integrated software toolbox for numerical simulations of multiscale problems;
- to perform rigorous and advanced studies on selected applications;
- to integrate a number of mathematical subareas under the umbrella of adaptive multiscale model reduction;
- to develop teaching and internship programs in the area of adaptive multiscale model reduction with integrated mathematical components.